First rewrite is finished

Saturday, January 13, 2007, 7:08 PM

So, I've just now finished the first proper rewrite of Conduit. I haven't worked at it constantly, instead dipping in and out of it over the last few weeks. The harder work was in the early to mid sections of the novel as I was having to make adjustments for shifts in the later part of the plot, so the last third was relatively easy going.

As I thought, it's gotten slightly longer as I fleshed out some descriptions and added some foreshadowing of the story's climax. Its word processor count is now 77,828 (about 1300 more than the first draft) and the printer's rule count is now 93,765. As I've said before, my writing style is lean, so no padding was added, just a little more shading where it was needed.

Now, I'm going to leave it for a few days then do another read-through from page one. This time I'll be looking more closely at the prose, trying to see where I can improve things. After that, it's time to let it loose and allow someone else to read it. I must admit, I'm dreading that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home