About Belfast

Monday, April 02, 2007, 7:19 PM

I'm a regular visitor to Belfast, but it's been ages since I've been able to stop and have a look around there. I spent a lot of time there in my twenties when various friends were at university, and can recall (sort of) many good nights spent staggering round the city. Yesterday evening, I had a gig there, and for a couple of reasons I wound up being about an hour early. The venue was close to the university area and I found a place to park my car nearby (I was meeting my partner in crime at the venue later). Having a bit of time to kill, I decided to take a walk around the streets of what is locally known as the Holylands (because of local place names like Jerusalem Street, Palestine Street, Damascus Street etc). It was a beautiful spring evening, the sun was out, I was feeling good cos I was dressed up, and I spent a very pleasant hour exploring the streets I used to know, watching people go about their business - particularly the ladies. :)

I was reminded of something I haven't consciously thought of for a while - Belfast can be a lovely city at times.

Also, I was able to scout two of the locations from my current novel that are in the vicinity, and it's good that I did because a house I described as being three storey is actually only two.

In other news...

That venture I mentioned in my last post - I've given it more thought, and the more I look at it, the more I think it's a good idea.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

Two things annoy me about this post:

I haven't been to the British Isles in about ten years so when someone mentions Belfast so casually I sorta want to reach through the electric lines and smack him. Or her. Okay, him. No offence, of course.

And ALL RIGHT, I'll bite, what's this "venture" of yours about???

2:16 AM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Ah, the venture... Sorry, I'm going to keep it to myself for the time being. Not because I want to be secretive, but because I know if I start workingon the idea now, my novel will never get done. So, it's going to be kept on hold for the time being.

But never fear, the world will know of my plan soon enough ... bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaah! (twists ends of moustache whilst grinning maniacally)

9:27 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Gee, I never pictured you with facial hair. Hmm.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Only when I'm being an Evil Genius (though I did have a goatee many years ago - itchy!).

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home