Bizarre Research - Word count 40,925 (wp) 50,500 (pr)

Sunday, April 22, 2007, 8:44 PM

If any security type people keep tabs on what Internet users search for online, I must have been setting off red flags and alerts all over the place. Over recent weeks I have been researching various types of gun, knife and improvised weapons such as petrol bombs. I have spent time on the official websites of Walther, Glock, Lone Wolf and Gerber knives.

I have downloaded the instruction manual for a Walther P99, and studied the ammunition types accepted by the Glock 23 (9mm, by the way). I know how the folding mechanism on a Gerber FAST Draw knife works. I have read articles on the types of wounds created by these weapons, and how a stab wound to the heart brings about death - there's not that much blood, apparently.

If anyone, anywhere, kept track of what I've been browsing, they'd think I'd gone nuts. I'm particularly mindful of the tragic events in Virginia last week as I go through this stuff. I've never been interested in any kind of weaponry (guitars and cars are a different matter - Charvel guitars and Aston Martin V8 Vantages do more for me) and the apparent openness of American society to devices designed purely for the killing of other creatures has always struck me as bizarre, so I'm finding all this a bit - well, icky!

Anyway, if anyone from any international security agency is reading this - I'm just researching for my current novel. I'm not planning on causing mass destruction while going out in a blaze of glory, honest!

In other news...

I've had a really good weekend. Got some stuff done around the house, saw some friends who I haven't seen in ages, and got a decent amount of writing done.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

Are you friggin kidding me? That's nothing. I have a favorites file named Weaponry with probably a fifty links going back four years. I'm going to post on this so see my blog for details.

On a more cheeful note, my folks had an Aston Martin when I was a baby. Apparently I rode in a baby carrier next to my mom's feet. I only have the vaguest memory of it before we went "station wagon" so we could haul sailboats and all the sailing accoutrements.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Do you remember what model Aston it was? I don't know what age you are so won't try to guess!

7:56 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

I'm 39 (shhh). No, actually, I don't care since most people think I'm 15 years younger than that. So it would have been about that long ago, except my folks wouldn't have had a new one, so I'm guessing it was built 50 years ago.

50 years. Okay, yeah, I'm old.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Hmmm, that would make it a DB5 or a DB6 - proper James Bond/Goldfinger vintage. Did it have an ejecter seat?!

1:27 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Ok, now I'm curious. I'll have to ask Mom about it.

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home