The Rewrite has Begun

Saturday, July 14, 2007, 4:34 PM

Following what I hope is a decent cooling off period of about six weeks, I have begun the first substantive rewrite of the WIP. When I did rewrites of the previous novel it was without the benefit of beta readers' input or a period of abstinence, meaning those rewrites were no more than a spit and a polish.

This time, it's different. I guess this is where the real graft is. The first scene alone took a significant amount of time to rework. I'm acting on most of the comments made by my beta readers, sometimes working directly from their suggestions, and just as frequently coming at it from a new angle. The first chapter has been split in two, with chapter two starting at the original version's scene break. Through some fairly simple additions the whole first scene's tension has been ramped up a notch or two, I think.

But it's taking time. Some parts of the novel need more work than others, but it's going to be a slog. Bring it on, I say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home