New York State of Mind

Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 9:37 PM

For the last week or so I've planned to write a great big post about my imminent trip to New York and what it means to me. Time has got the better of me, however, so it will be little tiny one instead.

In short, my inner child is as excited as a twelve-year-old girl who just found out she's getting a pony. It feels like Christmas Eve, and it's many years since Christmas Eve felt like anything more than an excuse to crack open a beer. This might be harder to understand for those that live in the USA, and even stranger to those who have lived in New York, but this is like going to Oz or Narnia, a visit to a mythical place I've seen on the screen and the page my whole life. Every now and again I'll be doing something entirely mundane, and I'll all of a sudden think "Holy crap! I'm going to New York!"

I'm going to be such a tourist. Don't be surprised if I end up with a baseball cap saying "I Heart NY". On Thursday I'll be on top of the Empire State Building, on Friday I'll walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, on Saturday I'll see Van Halen, and Sunday I'll indulge the seven-year-old me and visit the Bronx Zoo so I can laugh at the monkeys.

There'll be a big post when I get back (most likely with lots of boring photos).

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger moonrat said...

awesome. hope we treat you well ;)

3:14 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

Have a blast! I know you will!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

I envy you and I look forward to the big post NY post and the boring pictures.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Have a wonderful time! And can't wait to hear about your trip!

3:32 AM  
Blogger Josephine Damian said...

Ahhh.... since it's Saturday, and you've already left on your trip, I guess it's too late to warn you to hold your nose when you're at the Bronx Zoo.

NYC is a mythic place - I haven't roamed those mean streets paved with gold since the late 1980's - long before Guiliani cleaned up the joint - long before corporate America Disney-fied the Times Square area, and long before 9/11 changed the tone and skyline of the city.

I can't imagine what it would be like to walk through those canyons now without the twin towers to orient me.

Like they say, you can't go home again. But I am eager to hear your impressions, Conduit, to see the city again though your eyes.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Mary Witzl said...

I'm glad you're excited about going to New York. I have met people who are remarkably blase about New York, and I don't buy it. If you can't get excited about a trip to New York, what can you get excited about? There is so much of the world crammed into one small area -- so many interesting people and incredible museums and art galleries and restaurants.

Like Josephine, I haven't been to NY since before Giuliani's time. When I lived there, the apartment I was living in got burgled twice within a year and it had bars on the windows and three complicated locks on the steel-reinforced door. On my first trip to New York, they were building the Twin Towers.

Ah, the memories.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home