Tom G's Bench

Saturday, November 24, 2007, 6:25 PM

I've not gotten round to a proper post on my recent New York trip (and it grows less recent by the day) but here's one thing I really wanted to share. In Central Park, they have an Adopt-a-Bench scheme whereby you can donate anything from $7500 upwards and have a plaque put on the bench of your choice with your own inscription. Most of them, as you'd expect, are dedications to loved ones, or corporate messages. But one in particular caught my eye. I'd like to thank Tom G, whoever he is, for making the smile I had on my face at the time even bigger.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Josephine Damian said...

Ah, there's no humor like NY humur (except, of course, Irish humor).

Conduit, you did not say (or maybe you did say and I missed it), but did you go to Ground Zero when you were there?

Hope you're feeling better.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

That was awesome!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Josephine: Yes, I went to Ground Zero. When (or rather, if) I get time to do the Big New York Blog Post, I intend to write about it. For now, though, I'll just say I was surprisingly underwhelmed. Maybe it was because it was all hidden behind screens, or the hundreds of tourists milling about (of which I was one, of course), or the seeming isolation of the site itself - I just didn't get any sense of the atrocity that happened there. It felt more like a building site that just happens to be a tourist attraction, and I suppose there's something very sad about that.

When I was there, I crossed the street to a department store called Century 21 because I needed to use the bathroom. Now, that was horrific...

11:29 PM  
Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Yes - say no more - CEntury 21 is a horror! The one and only time I went in there, I think I nearly had an epileptic fit.

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home