The Next Book - In Full!

Sunday, September 21, 2008, 5:41 PM

That's right, here's the next book in all its glory!



For about the fifth time in a year, I have started a new novel. This will be a sort-of-sequel to THE GHOSTS OF BELFAST, with several returning characters, but a different protagonist.

Just a few thousand words in, I'm finding the experience of writing a book under contract, knowing it will published ,very different from writing one on spec, with only a faint hope that it will ever see the light of day. Whether it's easier or more difficult remains to be seen. It will certainly be a more thoroughly planned and researched novel, rather than the seat-of-my-pants approach that was used for the first book. Wish me luck.

PS: I am fully aware that my handwriting may be the worst in the world.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Eyberg said...

Careful planning and knowing where it may be going but still not knowing how the characters are going to react to known situations is still fun. good luck.

6:19 PM  
Blogger David Todd said...

I wish I could've read that, but suppose I'll have to wait for the finished article. Good Luck!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I love a diagrammatic approach. And yes, a novel under contract must feel so different to writing on spec. Good luck!

8:51 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

God it looks like my messes that mean something only to me...

I've yet to draw this similar diagram for my WIP but I'm getting there...

And of course you know you have a beta whenever you need her...

12:43 AM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Looks like it will transcend its genre.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

4:11 AM  
Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

SEriously - the handwriting is way neater than mine! I have the handwriting of a serial killer.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Josephine Damian said...

Oooh, Ello got me thinking about how to analyze the behavior of serial killers via their handwriting.

Stuart: I hopethose "X's" represent act breaks/plot points.

Everyone seems to be getting 2-or more book deals. I often wonder in that's the best way to go for the book, the deal or the writer, but I also wonder what'll happen if you stand your ground with the publisher on a one- only book deal.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to plan, Conduit.

I hope that all your planning and plotting comes along fast and furious under the pressure of other people's expectations. I'm sure you will pull through a winner.

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry for the multiple posts!!!

Patience is a virtue I'm working on!

;o)

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home