Blood's a Rover by James Ellroy: Perks of the Job

Saturday, April 18, 2009, 6:33 PM

There are many, many perks to having Nat Sobel as your agent. Here's one of them:



My doorbell rang at 8:30 this morning, and it being a Saturday, I was a little discombobulated. I woke up pretty sharpish when I found this baby on my doorstep. Apart from the early hour, the timing is perfect. I'm just finishing up John Ajvide Lindqvist's LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (which, by the way, is the best vampire novel since Bram Stoker's DRACULA). So, I will be cracking open Ellroy's long awaited conclusion to the Underworld USA trilogy some time this weekend, and I can't wait. I have been told that BLOOD'S A ROVER is a masterpiece.

I shall blog about it when I'm done (fancy a review, Mr Brennan?), though that might be a week or two. I am a tortuously slow reader; Ellroy's isn't the easiest writing to chew and digest, and this is a pretty hefty chunk of book at more than 640 pages. I have leafed through, and from the odd sentence that I've read, it seems closer in style to AMERICAN TABLOID than THE COLD SIX THOUSAND, but that's only a first impression. Oh, and the first section of the book is titled "CLUSTER FUCK".

This is going to be good.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Eyberg said...

Enjoy the book. I am glad I am not the only slow reader out here. My wife reader 3X's faster than me.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Josephine Damian said...

Nothing gets my Irish up faster than a "speed reader" - if you ain't reading slow then you ain't reading.

I've heard others talk about that vampire book. I'll have to check it out.

8:54 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

:P

Actually, I don't know what I'm missing because I'm still waiting on my book order containing his books.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Envy becomes me.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Gordon Harries said...

My reading speed has notably decreased over the last few years. Particually on something meaty like David Corbett or William Kennedy or (Say it) James Ellroy..

Oh which note...

JEALOUS!!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Gerard Brennan said...

Oh, yeah, man. Gimme that review when it's ready. Please.

Cheers

gb

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Guy said...

Jesus, how to get my hands on a copy like that!?

2:12 PM  
Blogger kindsaluv said...

i can't wait till september. the next time your doorbell will ring maybe it's me asking for this copy!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home