The Dream We All Dream Of: My book is here!

Thursday, June 04, 2009, 8:18 PM

Today I had planned to post a link to a wonderful review on a dear friend's blog, but that has been postponed for one day due to...

A FINISHED COPY OF THE TWELVE!

I was out on an errand this morning, and came home to find a padded envelope stuffed into my letterbox. It had a Harvill Secker address label attached. It was quite bulky. It was approximately the size and shape of a trade paperback book. I tore it open, and this was inside:



Isn't it pretty? And just in case that angle doesn't suit you, here's another:



The design of the whole book is wonderful, including the dual texture laminate (my name and the title are glossy, while the rest is matte) and the colour inside covers. At the front are a few of the great quotes I've been blessed with:



And in the back, there's my ugly mug, floating menacing in space over my bio. One omission is that they neglected to credit the photo to my business partner, Greg Haire. Anyway, it looks like this:



So this is it. The summit to which we all aspire. My own published novel, in my hands. And how does that feel?

Strange. And cool. But mostly strange.

I hope another recently published author, Cindy Pon, might chip in on the following point. I'm curious to know if her experience is similar to mine. Anyway, the point is: Holding the book in my hand wasn't the earth-shattering, life-altering, choirs-of-angels-sing-while-the-world-is-bathed-in-white-light moment I thought it might have been two years ago. Don't get me wrong, it's a truly wonderful feeling, but ever since bagging my agent, the journey to this stage has been a long series of victories, and the occasional defeat. There wasn't one definable moment where I crossed the threshold between hope and actuality. Rather it has been a steady climb to this place where I can call myself an honest-to-God published author.

It's still bloody good, though.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Bowman said...

Although I've heard from multiple sources that getting one's novel published isn't as grand as expected, I'm pleased to see that your face and heart made it into print. Many writers give up, you know.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Josephine Damian said...

How many women are going to tear off that back cover and stick it on their mirror, or tuck it under their pillow just so they can gaze longingly at Mr. Sexiest-Irish-Crime-Writer-2010? (you'll get to wear that crown after JC is done with it) I know Aerin will be one of them!

What's weird is when you were in NY and sent me the ARC from a NY post office, my nosy mailman eyed the postmark, felt the envelope and knew it was a book.

He jumped to very wrong conclusion that I had been published, and that it was my book in that envelope, my first copy.

He congratulated me on getting published.

I had to explain to him, no, that was my friend's book, not mine! And I said to him: "Someday...."

I think for you, the first time you walk into a bookstore and see your book among all the other big name titles, I think that will be the really big moment.

9:09 PM  
Blogger moonrat said...

ooo! HOT stuff!

10:10 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

I'm glad they used that pic. I love that one.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Jamie Eyberg said...

Cool! I don't care if the heaven's didn't sing you the praise that you undoubtedly deserve at the moment you opened it up, it is still really freakin' cool! Congratulations.

11:03 PM  
Blogger jjdebenedictis said...

EeeeEEEeeeEEEeee!! So pretty!

Well done, Stuart. Find a nice shelf in your home and put it up there!

11:13 PM  
Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

How freaking cool is that?!!!!!

2:04 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Oh, and it looks like you need to clip your nails.

:P

2:11 AM  
Blogger BT said...

Congratulations, Stuart.

Another milestone reached. Enjoy the celebrations. You deserve it.

2:23 AM  
Blogger McKoala said...

Fabulous!

But have you cuddled it yet?

3:33 AM  
Blogger Sandra Cormier said...

You look so darn serious.

Don't forget to take your book to dinner.

I understand how you might expect all the anticipation to end with crashing cymbals and fireworks, but all you hear is your own satisfied sigh.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Ah... congrats. She be gorgeous! I like your pic - serious noir. Hug her close... Peace, Linda

12:16 PM  
Blogger Gordon Harries said...

To be fair, you're already writting the next one. Maybe you've just moved on?

(that was always my experiance with exams and such. I worked and worked and worked and stressed and hyperventalited and assumed the world was coming to an end and... then did perfectly well. people would congratulate me and my response was 'Oh? oh, thanks.' because my head was into the next 'crisis'. maybe it's comparable?)

2:45 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

A lovely-looking book! (And it tones with your décor!)

It is interesting how the thing we aspire to can feel quite natural once we reach that goal.

9:17 PM  
Blogger cindy said...

congratulations! it's gorgeous! can't wait to pick it up when in the uk! =D i do know what you mean about it being a little anti-climactic. i think it's surprising what *is* climactic during the entire process. for me, getting the agent was a high point. getting my very first editorial letter was another. seeing the entire jacket in jpg form...

i also think we are very much occupied with other things when the actual book arrives, like reviews, and thoughts on promotion, and sales, etc etc.

it's been a learning process the entire way, thrilling and terrifying. wouldn't trade it for the moon.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home