Hungry Like the Wolf (for reviews)

Thursday, September 10, 2009, 11:26 AM


There have been a brace of reviews in the build up to the US publication of THE GHOSTS OF BELFAST. Publishers Weekly, Kirkus and Booklist have all put a good word in for me, as follows:

"[A] stunning debut ... This is not only an action-packed, visceral thriller but also an insightful insider’s glimpse into the complex political machinations and networks that maintain the uneasy truce in Northern Ireland." - Publishers Weekly (starred review)

"Sharp prose places readers in this pitiless place and holds them there. Harsh and unrelenting crime fiction, masterfully done." - Kirkus Reviews (starred review)

"Neville's debut novel is tragic, violent, exciting, plausible, and compelling. The Ghosts of Belfast is dark, powerful, insightful, and hard to put down." - Booklist

Another review came from a rather unexpected source. I chanced upon a post by Simon Le Bon on the Duran Duran website, listing some books that he'd read recently. Among them was THE TWELVE, the UK edition of THE GHOSTS OF BELFAST. Curiosity piqued, I sent an email off to the contact address, inquiring as to whether Mr. Le Bon enjoyed my humble effort. To my great surprise, Simon himself replied, along with a review that was subsequently posted to the Duran Duran website! Mr. Le Bon said: "I had to keep the book in my hands, even when I was quite busy doing something necessary, which wasn't reading, on the off chance that I might be able to grab the 20 seconds or so that it took to get to the end of the next paragraph ... I highly recommend this book; its right up there with the best of the year for me."

And finally, I'll be in Dublin this weekend for the Books 2009 festival. The crime strand is coordinated by Declan Burke, fine author and blogger, and boasts a most impressive lineup, including John Connolly, Colin Bateman, Brian McGilloway, Arlene Hunt, and many more. I'll be on the flatteringly titled Bright Young Things panel along with Ava McCarthy, Alan Glynn and John McFetridge, moderated by Cormac Millar, at 2:30pm on Saturday 12th of September, at Independent Colleges on Dawson Street.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Cate Gardner said...

The 14 year old girl hiding inside me just squealed. Congrats, Stuart.

1:20 PM  
Blogger jjdebenedictis said...

What Cate said. Except mine is now humming "Hungry Like the Wolf" too.

3:54 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

bright YOUNG things? Snort.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

"When [Stuart Neville] shines, [he] really shows you all he can... just like that river, twisting through the dusty land."

"Oh, it'll take [Fegan] a little time, might take a little crime, to come undone now."

Okay, I'll stop. But the blurb possibilities are endless -- and I hadn't even gotten to Reflex!

6:03 PM  
Blogger moonrat said...

dang. a starred review?! hope you're proud, mister!

9:11 PM  
Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Oh my gosh! How cool are you? You absolutely rock!

I can't stand it! I can't wait for my copy!!! And how are you going to sign it for me, HMMMMMMMM? I hope you are doing bookplates!!!

You know if you come to DC - I'll take you for someplace way better than Popeye's chicken - I promise!!!

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Malachi O'Doherty said...

Isn't a brace two? You did better than that.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Malachi - On checking my dictionary, you're quite right, a brace is a pair. My poor command of the Einglish language is exposed. Good job I'm not a writer... oh, wait, crap...

Ello - I'll try to organise some way of getting a signed copy to you.

Everyone else - Thanks for the comments. :)

12:01 PM  
Blogger cindy said...

OMG I WANTED TO BE MRS. LEBON!!!

i am SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!

congratulations on all the great reviews, stuart! i really look forward to reading this over crimbo in england!

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home