This time next week, I'll be...

Thursday, October 08, 2009, 9:34 PM

...in Indianapolis, attending Bouchercon 2009, and getting ready to debate Irish fiction and nonfiction with the lovely Ruth Dudley Edwards, whose AFTERMATH is one of the most powerful, disturbing and uplifting books you'll ever read. On the following Saturday, I'll be partaking in some speed dating of the literary kind - I, and bunch of other fresh-faced newbie novelists, will have just a few minutes to impress several tables of discerning crime readers.

After that, there's the cross-country jaunt with fellow Soho authors James R Benn and Peter Lovesey, before heading to Denver CO to see my friend Betsy Dornbusch and her family, and also to attend Mile Hi Con, Colorado's leading sci-fi, fantasy and horror convention, at the Grand Hyatt Tech Center. They're letting me in on a technicality - my book has ghosts in it. I'll be on a few panels, as well as giving a reading, so if you're in attendance, please say hello. You will find me in these places, at these times, pretending I know enough to talk about these topics:

Grand Mesa A, 5:00pm, Friday 23rd - Must Action/Adventure = Dumb/Mindless (Betsy will also be on this panel)

Mesa Verde C, 2:00pm, Saturday 24th - Author reading with Paulo Bacigalupi (with signing immediately after)

Mesa Verde A, 1:00pm, Sunday 25th - Stories, Art Direction & Web Design for Online Magazines (again, Betsy will be on this panel too)

Mesa Verde A, 4:00pm, Sunday 25th - So You Want to be a Writer

So, I'll be a busy boy in Denver CO. I'm also hoping I get to meet the delectable Aerin when I'm there.

Finally, I'll be having a few days' R&R in Chicago before flying home. I've been looking into good places to eat there, and Portillo's looks like the kind of heart-busting grub I like...

I'm also looking forward to coming home to some long overdue renovations to my house, including, finally, after almost three years of procrastination on my part, my kitchen getting finished.

And finally, a new in depth interview with yours truly by Mihir Wanchoo can be found at the Fantasy Book Critic blog - check it out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Eyberg said...

Have fun in the states. I wish I could make it to one of your events but alas- your loss my friend.

12:19 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

I'm so excited!! We're going to have a blast.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Merry Monteleone said...

Wow, Stuart, you are going to be a busy boy!

I can think of better places for a Beef Sandwich than Portillo's, but it depends on where you're staying.

Assuming you're downtown, you might like Ricobenne's, in Bridgeport, for beefs or steak sandwiches - or Mr. Beef's on Orleans Ave for the same. For deep dish pizza you might like Lou Malnadi's (not sure if I spelled that right)

If you want good Chinese, obviously Chinatown, but don't go to one of the big fancy places on the strip, you want to hit one of the little hole in the wall places just outside of the main street... they have the best food.

If you want to go out drinking, try Rush and Division, best crowds and bars.

If you let me know which part of town you're in, I could probably narrow it down a bit better... I do have to say, if you have the time, go to a place called Freddy's Pizza in Cicero. It's on 16th street and 61st ave... the best sicilian pizza on the planet, they also make their own Italian Ice and Gelado... and everything there is delicious. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but let me tell you, it's worth the trip by itself.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Enjoy the trip, Stuart! Great interview, as well!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home